Human Resources Generalist
Website The Cambridge School
Job Title: Human Resources Generalist
Reports to: Business Manager
Status: Full-Time, Exempt
The Human Resources Generalist provides excellent customer service, leadership and advising pertaining to all of the people functions of the School in accordance with the policies and practices of the School and the laws, regulations and administrative rulings of governmental organizations and other regulatory and advisory authorities. The incumbent will be responsible for the strategic human resource planning to attract, develop and retain the best people talent available and to position the School as the Employer of Choice by being aware of policies, practices and trends in classical Christian education and in education in general. The incumbent will also ensure smooth office efficiencies for the day-to-day operations of the HR and Business Offices by performing a range of fundamental administrative duties, including strategic planning, organization and support.
· Manages recruitment process from identifying needs to creating or updating a job description, posting ads to coordinating interviews to onboarding candidates.
· Conducts the onboarding process from start to finish including but not limited to processing background checks, completing & verifying I-9 forms, inputting new employees on to HRIS system, preparing new hire paperwork, and tracking return of all enrollment materials.
· Maintains the HR database and employee records.
· Administers benefit plans, including enrollments, changes, and terminations. Processes required documents through payroll and insurance providers to ensure accurate record-keeping and proper deductions. Make sure to review invoices to ensure accurate billing.
· Acts as a liaison between employee, management, and benefits broker to answer questions and/or concerns regarding company policies, practices, and regulations.
· Proactively updates the Employee Handbook & HR processes including FMLA, Termination and more to stay compliant with federal and state laws.
· Runs payroll biweekly working with the Business Manager to ensure accurate entry of all details of payments. Must administrate timekeeping & assist with employees’ time punches.
· Assists with purchasing duties such as but not limited to restocking office and kitchen supplies.
· Facilitates termination process including creating final paychecks, handling exit interviews and organizing paperwork.
· Serves as subject matter expert for leave & workers’ compensation programs. Administers leave programs & policies in accordance with applicable federal and state employment laws (FMLA/CFRA, etc) Assists with purchasing
· Plans and coordinates employee events (lunch, community volunteer programs, etc)
· Assists in the Front Office when necessary
This position has the authority to determine work priorities, approve expenditures and negotiate contracts within the scope of responsibility.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
· Recruitment – Collaborate with the Executive Office on staffing needs, recruitment strategies and sources; implement effective recruitment strategies; coordinate schedules and logistics for interviews and/or demo lessons; formulate compensation and benefits packages; prepare appointment letters, offer letters, and declinations. Coordinate all communication with new hires and effectively carry out the process of the onboarding process for all new employees ensuring a smooth transition for all parties.
· Employment – Provide stellar customer service and communicate clearly and effectively to School staff, faculty, Board members and contingents; oversee and streamline new hire onboarding processes; maintain and protect employee personnel files; maintain strict confidentiality pertaining to matters of employment; prepare and collect termination paperwork at the end of employment. Assists with creating appointment letters yearly to maintain employment with current employees.
· Compliance – Stay current on city, state and federal regulations, including new and changing laws, ordinances, rules, and compliance issues; ensure that all employees, contractors, coaches and volunteers have gone through necessary measures of being background-checked before the start of their assignment; stay current on healthcare mandates; update Employee Handbook policies as needed. Must update HR processes to be compliant with city, state & federal regulations.
· Employee Benefits Management – Conduct Open Enrollment annually in the fall/winter; work closely with benefits insurance broker on renewal, rate increases, plan changes, and legal changes; consult with HOS before making any changes to benefits plans (some changes may need Board approval); review benefits currently offered to employees; explore options for enhancing benefits and/or reducing costs, with the goal of offering benefits that are attractive and affordable to employees; provide information and advice to employees regarding their benefits plans and how to maximize their use and minimize out-of-pocket costs. Must review invoices from benefit providers to make sure costs are accurate & assist with making payments.
· Business Office Support – Collaborate with the Business Manager by providing compensation, benefits, deductions and tax withholding information by deadline dates; prepare and review time sheets; process payroll for review; assist with procurement orders and processing. May assist with operations & administration by assisting the front office, making purchases, and leading procurement process.
Bachelor’s degree required and HR certification (PHR or SPHR) preferred; experience as an HR generalist in an academic environment preferred.
Critical Skills and Qualifications
Sound decision-making skills; ability to organize time and work independently; excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to maintain confidentiality pertaining to people and materials; thorough knowledge of and expertise in human resources and general school administration; unqualified commitment to classical Christian education. Failure to make wise decisions regarding what information to share and when to refer complex issues to the supervisor could have a serious negative impact on the School’s relationships with staff, parents and prospective donors. Proficiency in computer skills including Microsoft Office, Google Suite etc.
High frequency of computer keyboarding, high frequency of viewing a computer monitor, should be able to sit for extended periods of time.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by the incumbent in this position or any person subsequently hired for this position. The Head of School reserves the right to revise or amend duties at any time.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com