Website https://whitefieldacademykc.org/ Whitefield Academy
Whitefield Academy, Kansas City’s classical Christian PK – 12th grade school, is looking for a KindergartenTeacher for the 2023-2024 school year. While the task of the school is primarily to educate the mind, we know that it is impossible to accomplish that task without building strong character. Our Lower School teachers do both. Interested candidates can view the full job description below and on our website at www.whitefieldacademykc.org.
Job Title: Lower School Teacher – Kindergarten
Position Type: Faculty, Exempt, Full-time, 10-month
Reports to: Lower School Dean
Salary: Dependent on Experience – Salaried, paid monthly
Whitefield Academy is a classical Christian school for students Pre-Kindergarten – 12th grade. We are a nondenominational, private, day school accredited by the Association of Classical Christian Schools (ACCS).
• Bachelor’s degree required as a minimum
• Early Childhood or Elementary Education degree preferred
• Teaching experience preferred
• Familiarity or experience with the classical Christian education model preferred
• Member of an evangelical church able to affirm the school’s biblical, faith, and ethical standards as delineated in the school’s Statements and Affirmations on Faith and Practice
Portrait of a Whitefield Teacher
Teachers at Whitefield Academy are passionate evangelical Christians who love Christ, are joyful, encouraging, nurturing, have a happy disposition, and exude love for children. They are calm in tone, action, and decision making, and are firm when needed. They are committed to a life-long pursuit of professional excellence in becoming well-versed to the classical Christian educational paradigm both philosophically and pedagogically. They are multi-taskers who take the initiative by seeing what needs to be done and help or provide assistance without being asked.
Critical Performance Competencies
• Adhere to biblical standards in all areas of conduct
• Positively support the school’s policies and practices and work collaboratively and professionally
• Truthful, positive, and purposeful when communicating with others
• Able to use strong written and oral communication skills to transfer thoughts and express ideas
• Flexible and adaptable in dealing with new, different, or changing requirements
• Maintain confidentiality and security of information
• Hold self and others accountable to accomplish results
• Effective in handling multiple concurrent tasks, with demonstrable administrative skills
• Familiar with Microsoft Word and Outlook, able to learn and work with the school’s integrated data-based software package as needed (FACTS)
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
• Consistently exhibit love, joy, peace, and spiritual maturity before students and the rest of the school
• Be a student and lover of the Bible, God’s only written Word.
• Have a thorough knowledge of and interest in the subjects assigned to teach
• Teach utilizing the objectives, materials, priorities, and methods prescribed in Curriculum Guide
• Encourage students to see how all subjects are interrelated, as parts of God’s integrated universe
• Use clear language and appropriate vocabulary
• Use a variety of teaching methods
• Stimulate and maintain the students’ interest in the material
• Recognize and make reasonable accommodations for individual needs
• Use a variety of techniques (in addition to testing) to measure student progress (see the Lost Tools of Learning Chart)
• Use the Curriculum Guide as the basis for measuring the overall progress of the class and individual students
• Annually review and revise Curriculum Guides and Curriculum Overviews and complete the Year in Review
• Maintain a neat, organized, clean, and stimulating classroom environment for students, enlisting student’s help to take an active part in cleaning and maintaining their room’s appearance
• Establish simple and manageable class routines to accomplish basic tasks, (i.e. taking attendance, homework collection, daily cleaning, schedules, materials storage and distribution, etc.)
• Be very familiar with and able to apply the spirit as well as the letter of school rules
• Ensure that students are aware of class and school rules and encourage them to exercise self-discipline
• Maintain an orderly (not necessarily silent) working atmosphere
• Deal with the majority of corrective discipline situations within the classroom
• Enter lesson plans reflecting creativity and good use of time into FACTS weekly by 8am on Monday
• Lead extracurricular activities
• Participate in a fortnightly after-school reading group around classical Christian education
• Complete the ACCS Provisional Certification within one year of employment
• Complete the ACCS Professional Certification within three years of completion of the Provisional Certification
• Consistently and joyfully demonstrate excellence in work, punctuality, speech, attitude, dress, and attention to administrative duties
• Communicate with parents each week in the Grammar grades. Emphasize getting to know the families well and letting them know what is happening in class. Parents should feel welcome to visit and assist in the classroom
• Cooperate with administration in annual evaluation
• Cheerfully comply with all applicable policies in the Staff Handbook and with all administrative directives
• Cheerfully attend to assigned or volunteered collateral duties such as lunch and recess duty, attendance at school programs and events; others as prescribed by the school administration
Whitefield Academy is an equal opportunity employer and is required by law to perform background checks on selected qualified candidates. All employees of Whitefield Academy must agree to carry out their responsibilities in a manner that is consistent with Whitefield Academy’s Mission Statement, Statements and Affirmations on Faith and Practice, Staff Handbook, and conduct themselves in a manner consistent with Biblical standards.
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with Federal and State Laws.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. Continued employment remains on an “at-will” basis.
All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. However, teaching requires sitting, standing for extended periods, reaching, stooping, and climbing stairs. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees and students.
To apply for this job email your details to Personnel@whitefieldacademy.org