Science Teacher in Denver
Website Augustine Classical Academy
This Position Reports to the School Principal
- Provide science instruction in one or more of the following areas: earth science, physical science, physics, biology, and chemistry.
- Divide lesson time effectively between lectures, student demonstrations, and labs, and allow sufficient time for in-class drills and homework assignments.
- Provide additional strategies and resources for struggling students; provide additional resources for gifted students.
- Work effectively with direction from the Director of Logic and Rhetoric Schools, Curriculum Director, and/or department heads; contribute to the research and development of potential honors and/or AP science courses.
- Maintain discipline, order, and joy in the classroom at all times.
- Maintain up-to-date quarterly plans or lesson plans, as directed by the Director of the Logic and Rhetoric School.
- Grade and return all student work within one week of its original submission.
- Maintain a clean and orderly classroom at all times.
- Participate in various weekly non-academic duties as assigned by the School Principal
- Participate in ACA’s Master Teacher Development program or other required staff development; attend all weekly and monthly staff development meetings.
- Participate in all relevant staff discussions, contributing opinions as appropriate, and submitting willingly to any annual or mid-year changes as identified by ACA administration.
- Lead by example; model school values and desired culture; maintain visibility in the workforce.
- Participate in special events throughout the year.
- Serve in other duties as identified by the School Principal
Additional Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills Required
- A love for families and a desire to serve them through excellent work and communication.
- Strong oral and written communication skills and basic computer skills.
- High energy and regular initiative.
- Supervision of children by sight and sound.
- The ability to work well with others (staff, children, and parents) and alone
- Excellent leadership, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Must clear a full background check.
- Bachelor’s degree in elementary education or related content field
- Passionate Commitment to ACA’s mission, vision, and statement of faith
- Growth oriented and committed to ACA’s core teacher competencies
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Experience teaching within a Classical Christian school and/ or express willingness to be trained in Classical Christian Education (preferred)
- Classroom teaching experience
- Related graduate-level work in education
- Augustine Classical Academy purposes for faculty to be professional and diligent in their work, gifted in teaching, and showing love for their students and the subjects they teach. Faculty clearly understand the application of classical Christian education within the classroom, possess a lifelong hunger to learn and grow, and have the opportunity to be refreshed and renewed.
- Spiritual Leadership & Discipleship: Teachers are expected to consistently demonstrate the fruits of the spirit (Galatians 5:22-24) by exhibiting love, joy, peace, enthusiasm, compassion, courtesy, self-control, integrity, humility, flexibility, and spiritual maturity before students, parents, superiors, and the rest of the school.
- Spiritual Leadership & Discipleship: Teachers are expected to be students of the Bible and are to integrate Biblical truth into each subject.
- Spiritual Leadership & Discipleship: Teachers should also embody Christian virtues as detailed in our Master Teacher Development Program (MTDP) which include, trustworthiness, prudence, patience, humility, honesty, graciousness, collegiality, generosity, and respect to colleagues, parents, and students.
- Professionalism & Alignment to ACA: Teachers should uphold and exemplify and uphold ACA’s statement of faith, teacher and employee handbook, organizational values and mission. All staff respect ACA as an organization and model the behaviors and character values we are educating our students in.
- Teamwork & Victor’s Mindset: ACA Teachers should be teammate oriented, looking to share each other’s burdens (Romans 12:5). The primary role of the teacher is to educate children; however, ACA teachers should be willing to assist in a variety of ways and duties for the good of the team. Just as we are all members of the body of Christ and have different functions, ACA staff have different functions but are ultimately positive contributors to ACA’s mission and strategic plan. ACA teachers should also be growth minded and approach their craft with a zeal to perform at a high level while looking to continuously improve as professional educators.
- Pursuit of Mastery in Classical Christian Education: ACA emphasizes the classical model of education. Teachers agree to participate in classical Christian education training and to utilize those techniques as deemed appropriate and necessary by ACA to the best of their ability. It is part of the teacher’s responsibility to inform and educate parents in the classical Christian education model as opportunities arise. A biblical world-view should be inculcated throughout the model. Teachers are encouraged to engage in self-study of the classics. Teachers should also exemplify good teaching practices from The Seven Laws of Teaching.
- Parent Partnership & Communication: Teachers should seek to engage with parents with an emphasis placed on getting to know the families, as well as letting them know what is taking place in the class (major assignments, activities, events).
- Parent Partnership & Communication: Teachers should communicate weekly lesson plans. Parents should feel welcome visiting and assisting in the classroom.
- Curriculum Implementation, Lesson Planning, and Grading: All weekly lesson plans should synchronize with detailed scope and sequence provided for each teacher. It is expected that report cards will be a reflection of the teacher’s professionalism by accurately communicating a student’s performance, ability, and character. Complete and well-organized lesson plans should be prepared and maintained in a substitute teacher folder for use in case of teacher absence.
- Student Learning, Growth and Development: Teachers should seek to stimulate and maintain student’s interest in the material being studied. A variety of techniques (in addition to testing) should be used to measure a student’s progress. The students must also be made aware of their role in their education – to be actively and intimately involved. The Teacher understands how students learn, develop and differ in their approaches to learning and provides learning opportunities that support the spiritual, intellectual, social, and personal development of all students.
- Classroom Engagement & Environment: ACA Teachers should work to intentionally engage in the training of the hearts, minds, and souls of ACA students. Teachers are expected to maintain a neat, organized, beautiful, clean, and stimulating classroom environment. Teachers will supervise students in cleaning and maintaining ACA and its classrooms. Teachers should set up manageable class routines to accomplish basic tasks, e.g., taking attendance, homework collection and promoting a classroom culture of management through engagement.
- Classroom Engagement & Environment: Teachers agree to participate in classical Christian education training and to utilize those techniques as deemed appropriate and necessary by Augustine Classical Academy (ACA) to the best of their ability. It is part of the teacher’s responsibility to inform and educate parents in the classical Christian education model as opportunities arise. A biblical world and life view should be inculcated throughout the model.
Salary & Benefits
- $40,000-$46,000 annual salary as a 12 month employee
- PTO four full days per year
- Sick Leave five full days per year
- Partially-sponsored health and dental insurance plans
- Staff Continuing Education Tuition Benefit with Colorado Christian University
- All ACA staff qualify for reduced tuition and enrollment fees for dependents enrolling at ACA.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com