If the Lord reveals the need to you, He may be calling you to start a school.
If you’re like most, you’re a parent or just someone who found the passion that ignites around classical Christian education. From what you understand, you love it. But there’s no viable option in your area. Homeschooling has its limitations. You have the opportunity to work in the kingdom– not just for your children, but for generations. If you choose to walk this road, we’ll help.
ACCS Startup Assistance
If you’ve looked around and cannot find a suitable classical Christian school near you, it may be your calling to start one. Our movement is composed of over 200 schools that started just this way. Why go it alone? The ACCS provides a package of assistance that will start a school off on the right foot, and have it up and running within a year or two– sooner if need be. Here are some tips.
- Post your interest in our Forum below so that others in your area can find you.
- Find 2-3 other families that are dedicated to starting a classical Christian school with you. Often, these are from your church or other Christian gatherings in your community. You can use our web resources at ClassicalDifference.com to guide your friends into an understanding of the model.
- Setup a weekly or monthly “pray and planning” time to get together and read about classical Christian education with these “startup” families.
- Pull together about $500. This will help cover the initial costs to incorporate in your state (this may vary widely), get a federal tax ID number, and you can put $150 toward an ACCS Startup Kit.
- Proceed to the ACCS MRC (if you bought the ACCS Startup Package) for initial document templates (like your bylaws, articles of incorporation, parent/student handbooks), forms (admissions, report cards, etc.), and a 1-year startup guide that will point you to the many resources we have available.
- Raise an additional $1000 to file IRS form 1023 if you want to accept tax deductible donations. When you need to raise money from friends and family for startup costs, this can be very helpful. The actual IRS fee is normally $850, plus what you may wish to pay to have someone help with the paperwork.
Order A Start-Up Package
The ACCS has long offered its Startup Notebook which contains much of the information helpful to start a school. In 2017, we combined the notebook with 1 year of membership in the ACCS. This allows a new school to access our expansive resources within the MRC.
- Price: $150
- Eligibility: This offer is available only to first-time members with fewer than 100 students. Your organization must otherwise meet ACCS Membership Requirements. If the organization has not yet formed, the spokesperson for the future organization must agree to our statement of faith and confirm that the future organization will be a private classical Christian school.
- Included in the price is
- One Startup Notebook and
- One full year of membership, plus the remainder of the current year.
- Each new membership comes with a membership kit that includes a plaque and other materials.
- A Q&A session (3o minutes) with Harold Naylor, a consultant to new schools.
- Access to the Member Resource Center (MRC) which contains hundreds of sample documents and forms, access to all (available) past conference talks, a variety of written resources, and much more. It also contains a step-by-step startup tool for schools.
- You can choose to subscribe your parents to The Classical Difference. Parents at ACCS Member Schools can receive this quarterly magazine in their mailboxes for free if you sign up for this service. (Separate charges apply for additional copies).
- To purchase, buy this item from our store Startup Package.
Or, if you prefer, you can purchase the Startup Notebook on its own.
The ACCS School Start-Up Notebook, first published in 1999, has been completely revised and expanded. The 2013 edition includes both brand new articles and updated revisions for all other articles. Discussion questions that identify critical issues to be answered for a particular topic are provided. The notebook also includes many sample documents currently in use at ACCS schools. Each author has experience working in classical Christian schools.
Start Up School Groups
Need to find others in your area who are interested in starting a new classical Christian school? Send us your ad.
Nevada County, California
Like-minded group of families who believe our mission is to glorify our Lord Jesus Christ by preparing our children and future generations for life-long service in God’s Kingdom utilizing the classical method wish to start a school in Nevada County, California. Please contact Erik Aanestad at email@example.com.
RI/ Southeastern MA Area
Experienced Christian school educator seeks folks interested in starting a new Christian school in the RI/ Southeastern Mass. area. Please contact Dr. Thomas Roche at firstname.lastname@example.org or 508-212-1491.
I am a veteran public school teacher who has been commissioned by God to become the founder of a Christian School grades 6-12 in the Alexandria, Virginia area. All children of faith will be welcomed, as well as those who seek to know Jesus. Please contact Deborah Rowson, D.Min, at email@example.com or 571-268-5802.
Central valley area of CA
We are a husband and wife who are convinced that classical Christian education is the richest and most Christ honoring method of educating our children and the future generations. We hope to start a school in the central valley of California in the fall of 2019. Please contact Alyssa at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Homeschooling family committed to classical Christian education and pastor of a local church taking the leap to begin a school in the Rhinelander, WI area. Any other like-minded folks interested in taking the leap with us? Please contact Jeremy at email@example.com.
Elizabeth City, NC
My name is Carol Terryberry. Through homeschooling, I developed a passion for classical Christian education. Elizabeth City has a few private options, but the Christian schools are either legalistic or secular. Please contact me if you are interested in working together on this project. Theterryberrys@gmail.com.
Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
My name is Rebecca Kloosterman and I am a qualified elementary teacher and a Pastor’s wife. A small group of families in our church are exploring the possibility of starting a Classical Christian School, and would love to connect with any other like-minded parents/educators in the city of Peterborough. If interested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Charlotte (Ballantyne area), NC
My name is Maite Lamarre-Pierre. I have fallen in love with classical Christian education and currently there isn’t a school in our area. I look forward working with like-minded parents and leaders who share my sentiments. If interested, please email email@example.com.
Former homeschool father who trained both of his daughters in the classical Christian tradition looks to begin a classical Christian school in Hutchinson, Kansas, and hopes there are others in and around town who are like-minded. If you are interested, please contact Stephen Taylor at firstname.lastname@example.org
Add a Group
If you would like to post an ad for a start up school, please send an email to email@example.com or call at 208-882-6101.