Website Abilene Classical Academy
Abilene Classical Academy (ACA) is seeking a full time headmaster for the 2022/2023 school year. ACA started in August of 2021 in Abilene, TX with 59 students from 32 families representing 11 churches in Abilene. We started with Jr. K through 6th grade. God has provided some competent and godly teachers and assistants. We are seeking a gifted and Godly leader who can lead the school and build it for years to come. The school is financially healthy and ripe for growth
Abilene is a friendly West Texas town with a population of around 125,00 with steady growth on the North and South sides of town. There are three Christian Universities in the city (Abilene Christian University, Hardin-Simmons University, and McMurry University). There is no other classical school in Abilene, so the potential for growth is large.
Click here to watch a video to get to know our school.
Please see the job description and peruse our website and Facebook for more information on the vision of the school.
If interested, please send a letter of application and c.v./resume to [email protected].
Abilene Classical Academy Headmaster Job Description
Reports to: Board of Directors
Purpose: The Headmaster runs the school by inspiring and overseeing the academic community, casting and developing the vision of the academy, managing the business of the academy and overseeing the development of the institution.
- Develops, refines, and propagates the vision of the school to and with the board, to the administration, faculty, parents and students of the school by continually reading, reviewing, and pondering pertinent historical and current visions and models of academic community and cultural excellence resulting in a school full of truth, beauty, and goodness.
- Oversees the implementation of the long term strategic planning of the school by advising the Board in these matters and reminding the Board of the school’s goals and commitments.
- Recruits teachers by developing a plan to attract great teachers in conjunction with the Board and by executing that plan resulting in excellent faculty being in place for Abilene Classical Academy.
- Oversees the assignment, evaluation, training, encouragement, discipline, and inspiration of the teaching staff by leading and developing the academic community, resulting in an excellent faculty which is consistently growing and improving over time.
- Oversees student discipline by working with the staff and faculty and by building relationships with students resulting in students living godly lives.
- Monitors cultural trends in the school, correcting negative trends, and inspiring positive cultural growth by consistently being involved in the life of the school as an observer and participant resulting in a godly culture at Abilene Classical Academy.
- Oversees curriculum choices and development by working with an appointed group and the faculty of the school to foresee needed curriculum and improve or replace deficient curriculum resulting in the use of the best curriculum available by Abilene Classical Academy.
- Discovers best practices in the broader academic community and implements them at Abilene Classical Academy by interacting with other educational leaders and communities resulting in constantly improving practices at Abilene Classical Academy.
- Directs the daily operation of Abilene Classical Academy by supervising the staff and faculty, by coordination of activities, by creation of clear lines of authority, and by setting the tone for a quality Christian educational program resulting in a school that runs smoothly.
- Builds relationships with like-minded institutions to benefit the school, particularly the Conservative Protestant churches in Taylor County, by interacting with, cooperating with, and supporting these institutions resulting in a network of helpfulness among like minded local institutions.
- Maintains accurate personnel records by overseeing procedures and practices resulting in consistent and meaningful records being kept.
- Creates, revises, and monitors the standards and policies of Abilene Classical Academy by consistently interacting with the staff, faculty, parents, and students of the school resulting in the implementation and alteration of policies and practices of the school.
- Oversees the creation of the yearly budget by working with the Board to draft and revise the budget in January for the subsequent year, resulting in a school that operates within its means.
- Oversees the financial integrity of the school by working with and overseeing the Administrative Assistant and providing accurate information to the Board.
- Oversees student recruitment by serving on the ad hoc marketing committee and by meeting with and attracting godly families to register their children at Abilene Classical Academy resulting in the growth of our student population.
- Oversees and maintains the admissions process of Abilene Classical Academy.
- Will actively pursue ACCS accreditation and maintain it.
Serves as an ex-officio member of the Board of Directors.
Other responsibilities as required by the Board of Directors.
- This position requires a minimum of a bachelor’s degree, but prefers a graduate degree.
- This position requires a broad knowledge of theological and philosophical history.
- The Headmaster must also be conversant with and supportive of the reformed faith and classical Christian education.
- The Headmaster should work to constantly expand his abilities by gaining further training in areas of weakness.
- The Headmaster must be an active member of a local Protestant church.
- The Headmaster must affirm Abilene Classical Academy’s statement of faith.
The Headmaster directly supervises the staff and faculty of Abilene Classical Academy.
The Headmaster is on call for the emergencies of the school generally. He will be involved in the most important and most stressful issues and circumstances at the school. He must work well and communicate effectively with people in difficult circumstances and must work diligently day to day without much direct supervision.
This position is a full-time position that works 12 months a year. The Headmaster will hold office hours during the academic year and will work with the board to set scaled office hours in the summer months.
Schedule for Evaluation:
The Headmaster will be evaluated annually by the Board of Directors. A new Headmaster will have a 60-day evaluation by the Board during the first semester of his tenure.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org